Sunday, June 7, 2009

When the Rooster Crows-All is Well or Is All Well?


Just after 5 a.m. this morning I woke up to the sounds of a morning in the country- the rooster was crowing, the dogs barking, the guineas squawking, the songbirds singing and I was comforted knowing all had made it through the night. Cool air added a nip to the morning and I was thankful for the start of a new day. If I had wanted to go back to sleep, I could have because all felt well.

However, I once commented to a city friend, that the sounds of sirens in the morning, when I had lived in town, I had found frightening, eerie and distracting. She replied, “Really? I always found them comforting.” I was amazed and asked,” How can hearing sirens be comforting? Sirens mean that danger, fire and crime are near.” She answered, “It also means there is someone on their way to help or protect. I am thankful for that.”

This brings to mind a story someone else told me about a woman who moved to the country to find peace and quiet. After one night, she moved back to the city because it was too noisy in the country. Indeed, it is noisy but in that I find peace and rest.

In your faith, where do you find your comfort in the ordinary days? It is unlikely that you find that sense of peace and quiet and rest in the same place as anyone else. God is with you, where you are.

Sometimes we forget that in our own ordinary days. At these times, we wonder, where is God or why don’t I feel as close to God today as I did last week? Faith tells me God is with me and He is but in the ordinary days we need to recognize and be thankful for the quiet gifts of the ordinary peaceful day.

Likewise, we may forget, that God is with others where they are in their day. When we try to guide them to where we find peace and rest in our faith-it may be distracting or frightening. We need to remember that only God can show them peace at the place where they are in their faith journey. Instead we can offer thanks for the new day, be it quiet or noisy, and trust God to guide those we care about to their ordinary place.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you were a preacher too! I found this very moving and touching. The more I get to know you, the more surprises I find.

    ReplyDelete