Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ice Day!


Ah yes, another day of snow, sleet and ice. I am one of the few people who will buck the tendency to complain about inclement weather. In fact, I am perfectly content on having an ice day, snow day, rain, sunshine, high temps, low temps etc. because I am usually able to find something good in the day regardless of the weather.

So, I'd like to share about what I think is one of the best things about having an "icy-snow" day.  First, however, let me mention a few positive points about days such as these for me:
  • I get to stay home.
  • I get to read, watch movies, knit, paint or any other number of things that I enjoy doing but due to other obligations may or may not feel guilty about indulging in doing them on a regular basis.
  • The family stays home. We get to spend time together.
  • It is beautiful outside and if I can venture out there I will likely find things that will  make me want to take a picture. 
  • I can update my blog.
  • Visions of sitting in front of a fireplace...
  • A day of rest....a day of rest...is good.
  • On the day before, I can go grocery shopping without having to worry about the bread on the shelf somehow getting into my cart and coming home with me...the shelves are empty of bread=no temptation!
Ok, that's enough for now but if I hear any grumbling I'll have to post more. lol

What I really like is being able to feed the birds and watch them eat what has been provided. 

For Christmas, my mother made me this beautiful bird bath/feeder. I was excited to bring it home and fill it up with bird food. I strategically placed it on my deck but the birds never came.  Finally, with the threat of rain I dumped the bird seed out into the yard and started to consider a better place for my bird bath.

Now, an icy storm has hidden the bird's natural food sources and having scattered seeds on the deck, they have gathered there.

It reminds me of the scripture we heard in Mass yesterday.

Matthew 6:25-34

New International Version (NIV)
 
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?




When things are going fine, like the birds we may not seek nourishment from God but oh, how He would love to see you, speak with you and be a part of your day. He always, of course, will provide for us in the darker hours but perhaps we can fly close and thank Him in the light of an abundant day and in the moments of discovery, of peace, of hope and joy, too. 

May the peace of our Lord be with you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment