Friday, September 25, 2015

The Bird



Hi, it’s been a long time. How are you doing? Today, I’m going to share an insight I had. Now, don’t get all excited.  It is highly unlikely that this will ever get into one of those adorable and useful meditation type books but it is what it is. It is full of…

Moving on…

This afternoon, I spent a few minutes sitting out on my deck. I had my eyes closed and I was listening to the wind as it rushed through the trees. It’s a beautiful sound, very similar to the sound of ocean waves crashing on the shore. Truly, it is one of my favorite sounds as I find it very calming and relaxing and reminiscent of good days. At one point, I opened my eyes and as I was looking up I saw a bird. The bird was flying away from a tree towards the roof of my home and then out of sight.  It was a small dark bird but the tips of its wings were white and the sun was highlighting the tiny creature. My first thought, as if this was a special gift just for me, was, “Thank you God- beautiful!”   

Closely following the first thought, however, was a question.  “Would that bird still be beautiful if it pooped on you?”  

What a strange question. Ummmm

The inner dialogue continued.

So, would that bird still be beautiful if it pooped on you?

Yes, the bird would still be beautiful; I just wouldn’t feel compelled to want to be near it or to let it poop on me again. Still beautiful, still being as it is, a bird-doing bird things but I can appreciate its beauty from afar.  I would not feel compelled to become a future target or windshield for the bird. In fact, I would probably do my best to avoid being a target.

Would you be angry at the bird? 

Really?  Okay-no.

Frustrated, perhaps, but not really angry because again, the bird was being a bird and doing bird things. 

Would it make you dislike all birds? 

No.  Generally, I like birds; they are beautiful and fun to watch and to photograph/draw. Just because I happened to be at the wrong place and the wrong time for a bird mishap would not taint me towards all birds.

Imagine a long pause in time here as this came to a point. I’ll spare you that.

The point, the personal gift of the moment arrived into my consciousness like ummm…well, you know.  Not that, I meant like the ocean waves crashing on the shore or like the wind rustling through the trees. Really!

People that hurt us are like a bird finding a target and then flying off to do their own thing.


  • They are still beautiful and wonderfully made children of God. 
  • Sometimes, they don't even know the hurt that they've inflicted-a byproduct of their humanness. 
  • They do human things and sometimes that's not nice- mean, vengeful, hateful, and hurtful. I guess what goes in, comes out.
  • Anger is not the right response. I am challenged to see beyond the crap they expel to their beauty as children of God and how God is reflected through them.
  • I do not however, have to be their target or windshield and I won’t let one person’s actions be my view of the whole human race.
  • In general, the human race is pretty awesome and for the most part, they gloriously reflect the goodness of God.

Another long pause as I scan the skies and consider blogging about this.
Finally, I arrive at my closing thought, as if this was a special gift meant just for me, “Thank you, God!”   


No comments:

Post a Comment